My mom makes this tasty almond dessert quite often and I’m so glad she does! It’s a delight for any almond lover. The pink frosting could be substituted for the more traditional look of no coloring and topped with sliced almonds as opposed to sprinkles. But I love my moms cheerful rendition.
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup flour
2 Tbs water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup water
1 Tbs almond extract
1 cup flour
3 large eggs
preheat oven 350
1) With a mixer on medium speed, cream 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup of flour. Add 2 Tbs water and mix until dough forms a ball.
2) Divide dough into three equal parts. Place the 3 pieces of dough onto a large baking sheet. Dust your hands with flour and pat each part into a strip about 3 inches wide and 8 inches long. Place each strip 3 inches apart on the baking sheet.
3) Put 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup water and almond extract in a small sauce pan, bring to a boil and remove from heat.
4) quickly stir in 1 cup of flour until smooth.
5) Set aside for 1-2 minutes, then add the eggs one at a time and blend well by hand after each addition.
6) Spread this mixture equally on top of the prepared strips. Be careful not to go over the edge.
7) Bake 35- 40 minutes or until the top is crisp and golden. Place pan on a cooling rack and cool. When cool… top with the frosting and sprinkles.
5 Tbs salted butter, room temperature
6 Tbs heavy cream
1 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
a drop or two of red food coloring
With your mixer …beat all the frosting ingredients until fluffy. Spread on top of the cooled pastry. Enjoy!!