My kids LOVE when I make these egg rolls…they BEG me to make them. So try them at your own risk, they are addictive! So crispy and full of flavor!
2 Tbs vegetable oil, divided
1 1/2 lb raw shrimp, cleaned and pealed and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 head of cabbage, shredded or thinly chopped
2 carrots, shredded
1 Tbs grated fresh ginger
8 mushrooms, sliced into matchstick type pieces
3 +Tbs of soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp fish sauce
egg roll wraps
1 Tbs cornstarch (to seal egg roll)
1/4 cup cool water (to seal egg roll)
1) Heat 1 Tbs oil in a large sauté pan or a wok over medium high heat. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper and add to pan. Cook shrimp until it is no longer translucent 3 - 4 minutes. Remove shrimp and drippings from the pan and save for later.
2) Heat the pan again, to a high heat and add 1 Tbs of vegetable oil.
3) Add the garlic, cabbage, carrots, ginger and mushrooms and stir-fry for 2 minute or until vegetables and softened.
4) Add the shrimp (with the juices) soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and fish sauce… continue to stir-fry for another 1 minute. (adding more soy sauce if needed).
5) Remove the filling and place on a baking sheet in a thin layer to cool. Raise one end of the tray to allow for the liquids to drain away from the filling.
6) Fill 1 Tbs of the filling for each egg roll. Roll the egg roll, making sure you are rolling tightly. Use the cornstarch and cool water mixture to seal each egg roll. ( you can find rolling instructions on the egg roll wrap packaging)
7) Heat up about 2 inches of oil in a sauce pan. When the oil is hot (360*), place the egg rolls in the hot oil carefully and fry in batches. Fry until golden brown, a minute or two max.
8) Remove the egg rolls and place on a cooling rack over a baking sheet to let drain and cool slightly. ENJOY!